Who said horses can't buck when they're moving forward?

I've heard and read the above many times and I'm mystified by it. My appaloosa gets his best bucks in while cantering. Seems to work right in with his stride. I've seen videos of horses who were certainly moving forward while bucking. I thought when I started riding Rogo that I understood why people said this (no bucking when going forward) because on the very rare occasion Rogo gave a little buck (he isn't a bucker) he'd stop, buck, then continue on. It would be the odd occasion when he was learning to pick up the canter and wasn't too enthusiastic about it. He'd canter off after his little buck, but it wouldn't be at the same time. 
Since bringing the horses home a few days ago Rogo wasn't cantering as well as he had at Cheryl's so I was very happy in his lesson today when his transitions from a slow trot to canter improved to where they were and he gave us a nice, forward canter with a good rhythm. He was doing so well that Cheryl asked me to start with a left canter (not his best side), cross the diagonal, trot, and pick up a right lead canter. This all went swimmingly until we moved (nicely if I do say so myself) into the right lead canter and started across the diagonal again. Nothing was rushed, steering was good, I was in the slightly forward position Cheryl asked me to do (because Rogo is green), he was holding the canter nicely, when out of the blue, without stopping, he gave a buck. Not a big one, but I was sitting forward in the position I don't feel as secure in as I'd like and I fell forward onto his neck. Damn. I thought I was starting to get better reflexes :( I got his head up and thought I was going to get myself seated again when Rogo realized something was amiss and did a complete halt from the canter while I was out of my seat. It was over. I went sailing off. Thanks heavens we got two new loads of sand before bringing the horses home. The landing wasn't too bad and I got right back on and did some walk/trot/walk transitions. I knew I'd be even more nervous and mad at myself if I didn't canter again, so I asked for a right lead canter and got it quickly and nicely, he stayed with me, didn't rush and came back to the trot when I asked. I decided to call it a day after a little walking.
So I guess Rogo (and probably all horses) can buck while moving forward and I still wonder why that myth is still put forward as truth.

Postscript added May 30, a rhyme that my teacher wrote for me :)  


Hi ho...hi ho...it's off my horse I go...
The view was fine and rather new
Hi ho...hi ho...hi ho...

Hi ho...hi ho...He starred at me, Rogo...
He thought he'd play, he was not blue,
Hi ho...hi ho...hiho...

Hi ho...hi ho...right now I move quite slow...
I'll ride again, that's what I do,
Hi ho...hi ho...hi ho...hi ho...

Cheryl


Comments