Goals With Indicators, for Jan. 2011

I know I'm looking a little obsessive here, but this is how my brain works after too many years of doing business planning. This will be boring for anyone else, but it's for me to put in my goals page and refer to. I wanted the indicators to go with the goals, because it will help me be more clear about what I'm shooting for and also help me to visualize it. The crossed items are being removed and the red items are items I've just added. They are mostly the pieces needed for level one, with the addition of shoulder in and ramener.

Training area
Goal Nov. 2010
Achieved
Goal Jan. 2011
Indicator(s)
Contact (accepting contact with the bit)
6
6
6.5
maintains steady contact through transitions
Bending
6
6
6.5
Smoothly, equally changes bend for serpentines
Working trot
7
6.5
7
Tracking up 90% of time once warmed up
20 M trot circles
7
6
7
Self explanatory
10 M trot circles
4
II
Lengthen stride in trot
2
3
Three strides of distinct lengthen
Ramener
2
3
Three strides of distinct, quality beginning of collection
Stretchy circle
5
Perfect shape
Precise walk trot walk transitions
6
7
On the letter and not the forehand 95%
Canter:

Transition up/down



Carry

Steer


7

7
7


6 / 5

6.5
6


7/6

7
7
Transitions are precise (within 2 strides), with engaged hindquarters
Counter canter
-
Not sure we can work on this inside yet
Lengthen stride in canter
3
3 strides lengthen and transition back in three strides
15 M canter circle
5
6
One quality circle
Free walk
7
7
7
Straight and forward 90% of times
Halt directly from trot
6
5.5**
6
Max. one walk step
Half halt
4
4.5
5
Responds 60% of time
Straight on center line
7
6.5
7
Self explanatory
Rhythm W

T

C
7
7
7
7
6
6.5
7
7
7
II
II
II
Precise transitions

6

5.5

6
Leg Yield
4
3
4
4 good walk steps
Should in
4
4.5
5
5 good trot steps
Me
Canter position
7
6.5
7
Heels down
Relaxation
6
6
7
Cheryl feedback
Sitting trot (Rogo)
5
5
6
10 good steps

Comments

allhorsestuff said…
That is one concise chart of goals! Very good for tracking them!
Jan said…
Carol, Great list of goals! I admire you for your thoroughness, and you will go far with such goals set out like this. Your charts are beginning to inspire me to do something similar; then I could see our progress more clearly as well. Good for you! (But don't show the list to Rogo :))!