Knee-Deep In June

I remember my mother telling me that this was a favourite saying of my grandfather's. Or was it his favourite time of year? Anyway, James Witcomb Riley wrote the poem Knee-Deep In June, and the expression is so perfect for this time of year when everything is freshly green and bursting with growth. I have the sense that it is rushing by, and that if I blink I'll miss it. Life is too short - I don't want to miss one June day, let alone a month. So today, when the sun was shining for what seemed like the first time in forever, I made a conscious decision to relish every June moment. It was great.
It started with a riding lesson with Joan at 9:30 am. There couldn't be any better start to the day. Joan gave Savanah and I lessons twice a week for well over a year before I started showing her, and we had a great show season. For one reason and another I haven't had more than the odd lesson with Joan since then, so to have a lesson with her is a highlight. We are trying to get back into regular work together, but her husband's health will dictate whether that is possible.
The weather was perfect - sunny, but just breezy enough to keep flies away. We worked on changing the tempo within walk and trot, and on my equitation. She was very happy with Rogo and for the first time ever she was happy with the way I timed my aids with his hind leg to move him forward - calf on when corresponding hind leg is on the ground; don't kick or use the heel, roll the calf on and off. She offered to give me another lesson tomorrow morning - heaven!
Joan went home, Doug went tractor shopping (more on that in a future post) and then I rode Savanah. We worked on shoulder in, leg yield, simple changes and free walk. She is so sharp and amazing. I hope Rogo reaches the point where he is as responsive as her.
Then I took the three dogs to the beach and since the tide was in, the Labs had to play fetch the stick from the water. Little Pepper just paddled along the shore. What next on a Knee-Deep In June day? Chicken Ceasar salad, garlic toast and read three days worth of newspapers on the deck off the kitchen, looking out on the bay. Hmmm, full belly, tired body - what better sunny June day activity than a nap outside? We (the dogs and I) moved to the upstairs deck off the office and we all piled onto a lounger and slept - breeze, birds singing, drifting off to sleep...
Just as we woke up, Doug arrived home with lobster - Yum! We had a drink on the deck and started cooking. A totally successful June day that I won't regret one second of. I'm always rushing but today I savoured every minute. It felt so great that I may have to do it again soon :) Sorry for the boring babbling, but I want to remember to do this when I can.

Comments

Lex said…
Sounds heavenly :)
Oak Creek Ranch said…
Your day does indeed sound perfect. Every single minute -- and waking up to lobster from an outside nap... what could be better?
Perrrrr-fect! Thanks for sharing :)
in2paints said…
No boring babbling at all... your day sounded like heaven to me! What a great way to spend a great day in June. :)
Jeni said…
Perfect day ~ thanks for sharing it.
Anonymous said…
i love June
Rising Rainbow said…
Sounds like an awesome day and topping it off with lobster makes it all the better.
It doesn't get any better than that does it? Glad you had a spectacular day and hope you have many for while you're knee deep in June.
Jan said…
Carol, Oh, what a picture perfect day you had! How wonderful. Am so glad your instructor gave you and Rogo such compliments- you both are such a good team! Hope you have another day like it soon!
Hurricanes12 said…
yay, that's an awesome post.
glad you had a lovely day too, it sounds amazing! especially your dinner, nom nom!
and timing is everything with schooling, so well done. you and rogo are going to be unbeatable ;) :)
Achieve1dream said…
Not boring babble at all. Sounds like it was a perfect day.

I don't know if I could live up there where you do . . . first sun of the year in June?? By June we're already baked and dying for rain lol. :D