Nel

As I mentioned in my last post, we had our first para-equestrian rider at the show on the weekend, Nel Godin-Keating. She's a twelve year old girl and her celebral palsy hasn't stopped her from becoming an exceptional equestrian. CTV did a short story on on it, captured in this video, and I absolutely guarantee that watching it will inspire you and make you realize you just witnessed something special. The story has gone national, is spreading on facebook and is now posted on Barnmice. If you ever had the feeling (haven't we all?) that horses changed your life, just look at what they've done for this talented little girl.
Nel memorized her test and rode it flawlessly without a caller, despite this being her first show ever and despite all the other things she has to think about. Her horse was a little spooky when he came in (ridden by the trainer), because of the reflection in the plexi-glass on the sides, but when Nel got on he became as focussed and tuned in to his rider as any top dressage horse I've ever seen - not one false move.
Our club got involved when I was farwarded an email that accidently went to another club a couple of months ago. It was from Nel's mother, wondering if she could come to our show. We bagan to correspond and the rest as they say is history. The R.I.D.E.R.S. Board totally came on board with supporting para-equestrian dressage and now we hope to make it easier for others to get started. We'll be discussing soon and I'll keep you posted. Already we've heard of others who want to participate. Nel is a catalyst and she's inspired us all.

Comments

Ms Martyr said…
Fabulous video. Thanks for sharing. I've heard of horses that seem to sense that they need to be careful with children and the disabled and it sure looks like Nel's horse is one of them. You can see the intelligence in his eyes.
Jeni said…
This might be your niche for your new barn??
Niamh said…
I spent about a year or so working at an equine therapy center and many of our clients had CP. It's completely amazing and inspiring to see how well their bodies work on the back of a horse and even more so, how in tuned the horses are to their riders.
Kelly said…
Amazing! Would love to get in to working at a therapeutic riding center...my dream job :)
Lori Skoog said…
Carol,
I loved the post and the video...so worthy of being seen. Thanks for sharing.
Anonymous said…
Thanks for sharing. My nephew rides my old mare since my sister won't take him to a theraputic riding center. He has made amazing progress with her. Horses can do so much (other animals to) what amazing creatures.
Achieve1dream said…
Too awesome! I wish my brother (who has cerebral palsy) could have done this stuff thirty years ago. It would have been so great for him. Thanks for sharing. :)
Rising Rainbow said…
Thanks for posting this and to your club for being open to supporting this program. Very cool!

Also congrats to you and Rogo on a great show. Good solid scores and what sounds like a fun experience. You can't beat that.